The history of Königstein has been variable: The place was first mentioned in 1130. The lords of Breitenstein-Königstein built a castle that was later fortified and destroyed in a fire about 1800. In 1358 the inhabitants of Königstein were awarded the right to hold a market.
On April 20th, 1945 the village was almost destroyed by an explosive grenade attack.
The village-renewal has been taking place over the last few years. Examples of this are the cobble-stone pavements and old restored buildings such as Haus am Markt.
The Baroque Protestant church “St. Georg” (1783-86) in the centre of the village was also used by the Catholics until 1965. Then, the new Catholic Church was built.